Chrispy’s Lime and Cornmeal Icebox Shortbread
from Everyday Food Cookie Edition
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c confectioners’ sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 c all-purpose flour, plus for for rolling
- zest of 2 limes
- 1/4 c cornmeal
- With an elecric mixer, beat butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt until
smooth. With mixer on low speed, add flour, mixing just until a dough forms. Stir in zest and cornmeal. (or other mix-ins)
- Divide dough in half; place each half on a piece of lightly floured parchment or waxed paper. Using the paper so the dough doesn’t stick to your fingers, gently roll each half into a 1 1/2 – inch – diameter log. Dividing evenly, sprinkle logs (to help coating adhere) and pressing in gently. Wrap logs tightly in the paper, twisting ends to seal; refrigerate until firm, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Can be stored up to 6 months)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Unwrap logs; with a serrated knife, cut dough into 3/8 in thick slices (if dough is crumbly leave at room temp, 5-10 min). Place slices on baking sheets about 1 in apart.
- Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until lightly golden around the edges, 15-20 min. Cool on baking sheets, 1-2 min; transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Other mix ins are available at this link
Makes 3 dozen
These were very tasty but the cookies rebelled in the 9th hour and formed paper thin sheets the size of my baking sheet. I know that once I took my silpat off the sheet it spread less but did not solve the complete problem.
Churchable ate 1/2 dozen for breakfast.